Friday, June 26, 2009

Recent Freelancing


Here, in no particular order, are random images from several jobs I've done in the past year - these days everything is top secret, so I can't post whole sequences online until the film is released - often a year or two after I work on it.
Bummer, because I now work 100% digitally, but my website samples are still all my old analogue stuff.
So these are some of the recent storyboard frames that I like. They are done at various levels of finish, but they all represent very sticky problems that I solved - story problems, deadline problems, presentation problems, location problems:
(which way does 5th Ave. run? Can we actually get this shot?),
logistical problems:
(which is tank work? Or 2nd unit, green screen, etc. to help the A. D.'s schedule?), ambiguous problems:
(do they really need boards, or a scatter shot of loose concepts presented well?)
- It has been a busy year, and I've been very lucky to have worked with pretty much all cool, talented people. You know who you are ;)



This idea is actually from my friend Doug Lefler - one of his many story ideas. He is an idea machine!

Actually this one is old, but I threw it in for variety...

This was the final shot of a music video I struggled through in one day (how did I do so many of these in years past...?)






This kind of VFX board can only be done digitally in my opinion - I like finding some elegant cartoon line for an effect like this billowing sand, but that won't help the 3d modelers or animators, so I do more images like this these days.

Scanned from my sketchbook on the weekend as I couldn't stop cooking up shots - mostly I end up not using them, but I like this one.



Forcing myself to thumbnail shots using a full range of values. Wish I'd done more of it earlier in my career.



I'm self taught, and TV commercials were my art school, for better or for worse. I did another one recently and it was really hard! How did I do this for so many years? Harder than it looks...


Photoshoping fun- didn't have to draw a thing!





Digital work.

2 comments:

  1. These are all awesome. I like this way of presenting them -- more questions pop up, "What's the story here? and here?" I'm going to stay away from that tomato bisque soup, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    What digital program did you use that looks so much like a sketch?
    I love your work.
    cole

    ReplyDelete