Tuesday, February 17, 2009

More Old Stuff

I did this (mid 90's?) to illustrate the concept of a commercial artist's lifelong deadline. The halftone was that cheap old zip stuff you had to rub to adhere the dots to the paper. I think you can still buy stuff like this because of the popularity of Manga. It gives a sort of imperfect-but-mechanical look. Thank God I found Wally Wood at a young age!

This was the splash page for my self published comicbook, Junkyard Enforcer, #1. I'm glad I did it, but there is no money in comics like this, so I had to go back to work. But it was fun. This was Prismacolor pencil on some slick pen paper. Then I switched to very smooth bristol, I think.

Even though the newspaper business is imploding, I still think there is a market for a daily newspaper strip about the day to day drama of firefighters. A few years back I wrote six weeks of dailies and Sundays, but realized I like freelancing, and don't want that kind of commitment. Here is me fooling around with the strip - even some old school duo-shade!

4 comments:

  1. Yay!! I love Junkyard Enforcer!!! I have #s 1 & 2 - I wish you could afford to finish the story and publish as a squarebound graphic novel. Fits in my book case between James Robinson's & Paul Smith's "Leave It To Chance" and Frank Miller's "Sin City."

    ReplyDelete